A Programmer's Perspective on Art

Robin Rhode

Robin Rhode is a master illusionist. Most of his art features street chalk graffiti to create an illusion of a surreal world. In a lot of his pieces, Rhode drew an object on the street in chalk, and then proceeded to interact with the drawn object as if it were real. The illusion was that it looked like he was actually interacting with the chalk object because he would pose a scene, take a picture and string a bunch of said pictures together to form an animation. Much like those comics you which require you to flip through the pages to see an animation take place. For example, one of Rhode’s pieces was of him interacting with a chalk drawn half-pipe – he created the illusion that he was skating up and down the half-pipe doing tricks.

I really enjoyed Rhode’s work. I thought a lot of the things he did were really cool because It took the phrase “use your imagination” to a whole new level. I remember when I was a kid and my mom used to tell me to use my imagination when she was really busy and didn’t have the time or energy to entertain me. The work Rhode did with the chalk and interacting with it seemed to me like a really good way I could have entertained myself all those years ago. I found it very inspiring how he took something so primitive, and created something spectacular using it.