A Programmer's Perspective on Art

What digital art means: rethought

In the beginning of the semester I was asked what I thought digital approaches to fine art meant.  At the time I didn’t know much about art and I remember writing something to the effect that digital approaches to fine art meant using Adobe products to generate art. I still don’t know much about art but I feel confident stating I know a lot more than I did a few months ago. If asked that question now, given the knowledge I’ve acquired this semester, I would answer it a little differently. I would say that digital approaches to fine art is using digital media to create, expose, showcase,  or even view art. Not only does using Adobe products constitute producing digital art, but creating an interactive webpage that displays art, even if that art was created using non-digital means, could be put under the umbrella of digital art. Digital art is a much more vast category than I had perceived a few months ago and the journey I took to come to that  meager conclusion was messy but full of creativity and fun.